Despite its legendary early history, the Sicilian Greyhound was then rarely seen and was unknown outside Sicily until 1932. In this year, a veterinarian, Dr. Maurizio Migneco, published an article denouncing the state of oblivion into which the breed had fallen. In response to the article, the Baroness Agata Paterno Castello of the Dukes of Carcaci, a Sicilian aristocrat, dedicated the rest of her life to redeveloping the breed.
In 1939, Professor Giuseppe Solaro studied the dogs the Baroness had bred and wrote the first breed standard which was then approved by the Italian Kennel Club (ENCI). In 1952, the first Sicilian Greyhound was declared the Italian Show Champion at the dog show. In 1989, the standard was updated and accepted by the Federation Cynologique Internationale (FCI).